Friday, September 10, 2010

Fucking Pharmacy!

Let me get straight to the point. I had my first experience of withdrawal from Savella...

The end of August was madness for me as I've written in my other blog, so I forgot to inform the pharmacy that I was going to be needing my refill. By the time I did remember, it was Saturday, I had one pill left, and pharmacist I usually deal with wasn't there. To add insult to injury, the asshole who was covering her wasn't polite about pointing out how I should have called earlier and that there was nothing they could do.
So I was stuck without my medication until Monday.

But how is it I have to tell them I need a refill so they can order it?
One of the symptoms of this disorder is memory problems, and they want me to remember to remind them?...
Plus shouldn't it be in stock?
They know I pick up my medication without fail, they should know that I need to take this medication regularly, that it can't just be stopped, and that I most likely will be taking it for the rest of my life, so why can't they just order the medication ahead of time instead of me having to remind them to do it...
I should be getting paid, cause from the looks of things, I'm doing there fucking job for them!

Ohh!!!! It get's me soo MAD!!...but I digress....

You have to understand, Savella is not a medication you can just stop taking. You have to build up to a dose and taper off. You can't go cold turkey because it would wreck havoc with the chemicals in the brain.
I called another Pharmacy and the person I spoke to still couldn't help, but at least he was polite, explained why he couldn't help and what my options were.
Since I now have medicaid, prescriptions are no longer allowed to be transferred from one pharmacy to another. Wherever I handed in the prescription is where I have to pick up the medication.
He also told me to take my last pill and cut it in half.
That way instead of going without the medication all together on Sunday, I can do a half a dose Saturday and half Sunday to try to keep me somewhat level.
This is all information that the pharmacist at my place SHOULD have told me, but I guess that guy couldn't give less of a shit.
So I did what he said and began my weekend without my life line.

I didn't know what to expect.
I was hoping that maybe I didn't need it anymore, that I'll be fine without it, but that dream didn't last two seconds before it was dashed against the rocks.
I swear, half way through Saturday I felt different.
My head  and neck started to hurt, I started to get stiff, I couldn't sleep, and by Sunday I was sore all over, and couldn't sit in one position for more then a minuet.

Can we say Deja Vu...

I knew this medication worked fast but not that fast.
I thought maybe it was in my head, but I was feeling it without even thinking about it. In fact I didn't even notice until I realized I kept shifting my position in my chair every few minuets. When I first started the medication it took a week for me to start to feel better, but it only took 24 hours for me to be trapped back in my own personal hell?
I thought maybe it was the withdrawal, but most of the symptoms were almost exactly as I remembered them.

I got my meds back on Monday, but the damage had already been done. It's been almost 2 weeks now since that weekend and I'm still not 100%, but at least everyday it gets better.

Hopefully I wont have to go through that again, but I know one day I'll have to try, just so I can see if I can have a life without being on meds, but after this little event, that wont be any day soon....

(Photo courtesy of Photobucket)

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweety, I'm so sorry to hear that happened- MAN- I understand withdrawal!
    I feel bad for you.
    You should go to Walgreens- you can set up automatic refills- it would help a lot!
    I think Duane Reade might do that as well- but I'm not positive.
    love you chickie! Stay strong!!!

    ReplyDelete